Readings for Sunday, September 5 — 23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time
Suggested Reflection Questions:
- There are beautiful images in the first reading of people’s infirmities being cured and of water rushing through the desert – God’s grace evident in dramatic changes. Have you ever seen God work in such big ways? Or has God come into your life in more subtle ways?
- The first reading also tells us not to fear. Have there ever been times in your life when you’ve turned to God in your fear? How does fear draw us further away from God?
- How is what is said in the second reading similar to anything you’ve heard in the Gospels? Does this reading mean you’ll change how you act in any way?
- In today’s Gospel, Jesus says to the deaf man, “Be opened!” Can you imagine Jesus saying those words to you? What in you needs to be healed so that you can be more open to God?
- Why do you think Jesus told the people who witnessed this healing not to tell anyone about it? Why do you think they spread the word anyway?