Heat up some buttery popcorn and sponsor an evening of “Cinema Divina” at your parish. Show a meaningful, thought-provoking film, followed by a conversation about its religious themes. Here are some suggestions: (are there more recent suggestions that we could use with the same themes?)
- During Lent — a season of journey — watch “The Way,” Martin Sheen’s recent movie about people on the famous pilgrimage, Camino de Santiago, in Spain.
- Watch “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” and hold a discussion on the cost of forgiveness, the movie’s Christian symbolism, and how young adults feel differently about this film, now watching it as adults.
- Watch “Soul Surfer” and have a discussion on the topic of perseverance and how it relates to faith.
- Watch “Bicycle Thieves” and have a discussion on the importance of family, generosity, kindness, and hope.
- Watch “Interstellar” and talk about themes of caring for creation and our common home, sacrifice, and the relationship between faith and science.