This week we’ll learn the names of the 2013 Academy Award nominees. In this midst of Oscar nomination hype, talk with young adults about some of this year’s most popular (and some likely to be nominated) movies. Here’s a link to some predictions. Consider any spiritual themes or other relevant issues that these movies bring up. If there’s a specific movie you’ve seen — or young adults have seen as a group — you might focus on that one. You could also go as a group to a movie and gather for dinner or coffee to discuss is afterward. Here are some discussion question ideas:
- What was the last movie you saw? What did you think of it? (Remind young adults about “spoiler alerts” if they go into details.)
- Were there any themes or issues in the movie that resonated with you or even challenged you? What were they? Did you think the movie did a good job of addressing these themes or issues?
- Who was your favorite character? Why?
- If you could sit down with the director or one of the actors in the film, what one question would you ask them?
- What would be your best pick for the “Best Picture” Oscar at the Academy Awards this year?