Jessica Coblentz shares tips on what to keep in mind as you plan young adult ministry:
- Be focused and realistic.
- Have one person, either staff or volunteer, who is ultimately responsible for seeing things through.
- Don’t try to do everything. Better to serve one group well and grow from there than to cast the net too wide to begin with and attract no one. Again, be reasonable. A handful of excellent events is much better than a dozen mediocre events. Keep them coming back for more!
- Don’t forget to include things that already take place in the parish that can be easily adjusted to be young adult friendly.
- Every once in a while ask — Where would you like the young adult ministry to be next year at this time? Three years from now? Five years from now? What will people be saying about it? What things will be happening? Who will be involved?
Learn more about developing a plan in the Essentials section of Young Adult Ministry in a Box.